This article-by-article Commentary on the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) is a vital resource for practitioners and academics in the field of EU investment protection law.
CETA has been called a game-changer. In the investment chapter, it has introduced a number of key innovations, including;
- the investment court system with an appellate tribunal,
- guidelines on third party funding,
- transparency and information sharing,
- modern versions of standards of protection, and
- detailed provisions on reservations and exceptions.
Considering that the new dispute resolution provisions in this chapter have also passed the scrutiny of the Court of Justice of the European Union, it is expected that CETA's investment chapter will serve as a blueprint for future EU investment agreements and so a full understanding of this, offered by this useful Commentary, is essential for lawyers.