Lord Sumption has been one of the most influential judges of his generation. This book critically reflects on the important and controversial issues raised by his jurisprudence.
Using Lord Sumption's judgments and extra-judicial lectures as a starting point, the book contains a selection of essays that consider 'where next' in relation to topics such as:
- contract variation, damages and penalties;
- economic loss and personal injury in tort law;
- knowing receipt and proprietary restitution;
- illegality in private law;
- agency and attribution;
- piercing the corporate veil;
- foreign law in the English courts.
The book covers a broad range of areas in private law including contract, tort, unjust enrichment, equity, company and commercial law, as well as private international law and civil procedure.