PART 1: FUNDAMENTAL LEGAL VALUES
1. What are fundamental legal values?
2. Legal ethics in the age of Bracton
3. Justice as virtue: A subject in the law curriculum?
Hans van de Wouw
4. The principle of non-discrimination as a fundamental value
5. Competence, independence and integrity: the essence of professionalism?
PART 2: FUNDAMENTAL VALUES IN INTERNATIONAL LAW
6. New equality provisions in European law: some thoughts on the fundamental value of equality as a legal principle
7. The rule of law in the legal order of the European Community
Paul Lasok QC
8. Legal subjectivity as a fundamental value: the emergence of non-State actors in Europe
9. Towards reconciling free trade and environment
10. Free trade as a fundamental value in the European Union
11. From universal sovereignty to territorial sovereignty – and back? On the flexibility of international law as a fundamental value of the international order
PART 3: FUNDAMENTAL VALUES IN PUBLIC LAW
12. Standards, principles and values in the public law of the United Kingdom
13. Fundamental environmental values and public law
14. New fundamentals – new values? Change and stability in South Africa
15. The value of multiculturalism in Eastern Europe
16. “Culture” as a fundamental value of the German Constitution? The Kulturstaat debate in German constitutional law
PART 4: FUNDAMENTAL VALUES IN PRIVATE LAW
17. Professional negligence: free riders and others
18. Fairness in tax law
19. Fundamental values in employment
20. Fundamental values in company law?