As the only practitioner title with detailed practical guidance and advice in this area, this is a comprehensive work written by a private client solicitor who has 30 years' experience of practice, and is a regular speaker at conferences on the subject. No professional faced with this ever-increasing area of law, should be without it.
It enables solicitors and other professionals to be more proactive in protecting their older clients. It describes the rise in financial abuse, explains how to spot warning signs, provides awareness of various elements of legal protection and demonstrates that change is needed in the current system.
Topics covered include:
- Financial abuse issues for care homes (new to this edition)
- Grooming for financial abuse (new to this edition)
- Who is vulnerable to financial abuse?
- Who are the perpetrators and why?
- The forms financial abuse takes
- How to prevent financial abuse
The Second Edition also includes:
- Statistics showing the prevalence of financial abuse
- Commentary on recent case law, legislation and industry reports including:
- Section 76 of the Serious Crime Act 2015 – coercive control legislation
- Banking and financial services
- Review of HMLR protections for property owners
- Review of all OPG and COP recent guidance and practice notes
- Updated information about care allowance rules
- Case law on retrospective approval of gifts
- Discussion of a deputy's authority to litigate
It also covers cases with issues particular to jurisdictions such as the Republic of Ireland, USA, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.